As part of Vertebrate Antibodies Ltd (VAL)’s ongoing expansion, the company has vacancies for new jobs in Aberdeen such as this one for a Senior Scientist. VAL is a rapidly developing biotech company with a wealth of experience in developing high performance antibodies and their modified reagents to support the life science communities.
We are currently looking for a senior research scientist with a particular set of skills to expand the business into recombinant technology which will complement our existing monoclonal antibody technology.
To expand the research programme carried out within the company, VAL is actively seeking an enthusiastic, diligent, organised and practically minded scientist for a Senior post-doctoral research position.
The successful candidate will have experience in recombinant technology, cell culture and molecular biology to enable them to contribute to the ongoing characterisation and functional analysis of the monoclonal antibodies which are continuously produced by the company. Main duties include:
- Developing recombinant proteins for functional characterisation of antibodies.
- Introduction of new technologies to develop alternative procedures to produce monoclonal antibodies.
- Developing recombinant proteins to expand the research programme carried out within the company in the area of improving fish health.
- Collating and validating data
- Preparation of data for publication and meeting presentations.
- Reporting results to other members of the company
- Contribution to the supervision and training of students and visiting scientists
The essential requirements for this role:
- At least 8 years’ laboratory experience in recombinant technology, immunology, and molecular biology techniques.
- A PhD and previous post-doctoral experience in a relevant life science subject.
- Evidence of substantial publications in high impact journals.
- A flexible approach to work, with excellent problem solving, communication and organisational skills.
- A team-player with the ability to organise their own work and collaborate with other members of the company.
- Consistency of experimental approach and ability to maintain reliable laboratory records.
- Capacity to cope with a varied workload, including fluctuating priorities and seasonal pressures.
- Ability to make impartial and independent decisions, and to handle confidential information appropriately.
Experience in the following techniques are highly desirable:
- Functional analysis of antibody characteristics using a range of techniques, for example: immunoblot, immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry as well as antibody purification.
- ELISA and sandwich ELISA assays
The salary will be in the range of £28,000 – £38,000 per annum (depending on qualifications, skills and experience).